Whether you are a tenant or an apartment complex manager, you likely know about the health and safety risks posed by a cockroach infestation. These filthy, fast-breeding scavengers spread allergens and bacteria. They scare away visitors and potential tenants. They can also trigger asthma attacks and other illnesses in sensitive individuals.
At Flatliners Pest Control, we’ve put together five tips to help you stop this type of pest problem before it gets bad. Roaches are hard to eliminate due to their advanced immune systems, strong exoskeletons, and ability to hide almost in plain sight.
- Take Care Of Garbage Areas. Keep all trash in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly. Apartment complex managers should ensure the dumpster areas are routinely maintained and cleaned.
- Repair Cracks & Holes. You want to prevent roaches from entering interior spaces from outside. Caulk and seal holes and cracks in building foundation and walls. Repair torn window screens, install well-fitted sweeps on doors and check for holes or gaps around pipes.
- Keep Things Clean, Inside & Out. If you are a tenant, don’t leave food or unwashed dishes out on counters or the table. Clean up immediately after every meal; sweep and vacuum regularly and keep food in tightly sealed containers. Managers should ensure the building grounds are well-maintained, including dumpsters and common areas.
- Pay Attention To Kitchens & Bathrooms. Remember that roaches love dark and damp spaces. Be sure to keep your under-sink areas clean and dry. Consider installing mesh traps over drains so that roaches and water bugs can’t crawl up, and don’t forget to clean under your fridge and stove.
- Use A Reputable Pest Control Service. It’s one thing to get rid of a few flies or ants on your own; cockroach control is a whole other ballgame. A commercial pest control company has access to the right pesticides to eliminate these hated bugs long-term.
Don’t Let Roaches Ruin Your Reputation
Word of a cockroach infestation can bring down an apartment complex’s reputation with lightning speed. This is especially true in the age of social media and online reviews. That’s why apartment owners and managers need to have a commercial pest control plan in place.
Why Are Apartments Prone To Infestations?
Roaches are a frustration to both landlords and residents. Nobody wants to see pests crawling around inside or outside. Unfortunately the very nature of apartment living helps cockroaches proliferate.
- The frequency of move-ins and move-outs allow cockroaches to hitch a ride on moving boxes and furniture.
- Apartments have many entry points. They can get in through cracks and crevices in the foundation and walls, damaged window screens, drains, sewer pipes, etc.
- Apartment complexes tend to have interconnected wiring and plumbing. The in-wall highways, provide the dark and often moist places that roaches prefer to hide and breed in. They also give roaches the ability to move between multiple residences.
- Dumpsters are breeding grounds for all kinds of pests, including roaches. They can get tracked back into the building by unsuspecting tenants.
Signs You May Have A Roach Problem
Because they are nocturnal, cockroaches are often hard to spot until you have an infestation. If you see one or more roaches during the day, that is a sign that more may be hiding behind furniture, inside cabinetry, or on shelves
- The presence of oily or musty smells.
- Finding dead cockroach bodies.
- Spotting dark-colored, oval-shaped cockroach egg cases.
- Noticing pepper-like or cylindrical shaped waste.
Las Vegas Roach Exterminators
Are you looking for residential or commercial pest control services in the Las Vegas Valley? The exterminators at Flatliners Pest Control are local experts at eliminating roaches and other apartment pests. We provide services for townhome, apartment, and condo complexes. Call today and schedule your inspection.