No wonder pigeons have been dubbed “sky rats.” They have long been known as disease carriers, and there is a widespread belief that they carry more sickness than rats. Is this true? Spoiler alert: the answer is yes!
Why Pigeons Are Problematic
Most people despise pigeons for their droppings, which can accumulate, creating a health hazard. Their poop can contain harmful bacteria and fungi, attracting pests like flies and cockroaches. These birds are also known to carry dozens of diseases.
- Histoplasmosis: Fungal Infection Affecting Lungs & Causing Flu-Like Symptoms
- Cryptococcosis: Fungal Infection Affecting Lungs & Resulting In Meningitis In Severe Cases
- Salmonellosis: Bacterial Infection Causing Diarrhea, Fever, & Abdominal Cramps
- E. Coli: Bacteria Resulting In Food Poisoning
- Psittacosis: Bacterial Infection Causing Fever, Headache, & Muscle Aches
Rats Are Wretched, Too
Although this article focuses on pigeons, it’s important to note that rats can also carry many scary diseases. Fortunately, rats aren’t known to spread rabies.
- Leptospirosis: Bacterial Infection Causing Flu-Like Symptoms, Kidney Failure, & Meningitis
- Hantavirus: Virus Causing A Rare But Severe Lung Disease
- Salmonellosis: Same As In Pigeons
- Rat-bite fever: Bacterial Infection Causing Fever, Vomiting, & Rash.
Pigeons Vs. Rats: Which Is The Biggest Loser?
As you’ve seen, both pigeons and rats can carry diseases. However, it’s worth noting that pigeons tend to live closer to humans and are far more likely to come into contact with us regularly. These facts make pigeons even more dangerous than rats.
Get Rid of Pigeons For Good
If you have a pigeon problem at your home or place of business, here are some steps you can take to get rid of these unwelcome winged pests. But please don’t attempt to use poison to control the population on your own, to avoid harming children, household pets, and other, more welcome, birds and wildlife.
- Eliminate pest-attracting food sources, like garbage or pet food
- Install bird spikes or netting to prevent pigeons from roosting
- Promptly clean up droppings or debris and disinfect the affected area
- Call a pest control company to inspect your property and utilize safe and effective extermination methods
Our Pigeon Exterminator Can Help
Are you looking for a great pest control company to care for your Las Vegas or Henderson home or business? You’ll need to take rapid action if you have pigeon problems, a rat infestation, a cockroach, or other insect invasions. Contact Flatliners Pest Control today to find out how we can help prevent the spread of diseases and protect your property—and your health.